Friday, February 3, 2017

Another week, another challenge

So, this week I realised how good of a choice it was for me to take both composition and colour and light classes with Nathan in the same term. The two courses go hand in hand, and I seriously feel how what we do for one class (and the critique I get) helps me with the homework for the other. So if anyone is thinking about taking these courses anytime in the future, consider taking two at once if you have enough time in your week.

For the composition class we had to create 6 compositions (3 colour, 3 b&w, 3 with no people or characters, 1 with no man made objects) aiming at designing contrast at the focal point using particular types of contrast given to us in the lecture. I've been also trying to fight my sense of value, as the paintings I do usually have quite low contrast, and I tend to stick to one value range.


For colour and light we needed to create a composition, and rework it 5 times to convey a particular mood. It's incredible how much thought went into actually putting emotions into words. I was also trying to focus on committing to reflections from environment on the objects.


The daily challenge I mentioned in my last post turned out to be a pretty interesting experience (although I've skipped more days than not so far). Instead of just practicing drawing (as most participants do), I'm trying to do very short design and presentation challenges somehow connected to the topic given. One of the topics was "ribbon". So here's what I did.


Have a great week ahead everyone!

PS. Yesterday Seb gave me a 5000 colour puzzle (CMYK colour gamut, 5000 shades). Now that's a challenge..

No comments:

Post a Comment